Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pajama Pirate!

Ruby decided quite a while ago that she wanted to be a pink ghost for Halloween. Right after we made her costume she changed her mind and decided she wanted to be Michael. So I assumed she didn't mean

or

or..but it would be awesome!


Ruby clarifies. "Mommy, the Michael in Peter Pan when he is fighting the pirates. That is what I want to be."
Mommy is a big fan of slightly obscure cinematic costumes so I got to work researching.

Hmm... why on earth does a little boy wear pink pajamas? Was that a thing in the 50s when Peter Pan was made? OK. I looked this up after this post. Pink used to be a boy color as a child version of the very masculine "red". Blue was actually a girl color denoting the Virgin Mary. Interesting.

A quick Google image search revealed that Ruby might be first toddler to request this costume. This morning she wore it for the first time for her Halloween parade at school. I think it turned out great. She's going to wear her pink ghost costume on Halloween proper (Which, I would like to point out, is not Saturday people!)

No comments: