Thursday, November 1, 2007

Curried Scallops Recipe

Recently, I had to throw together a dinner quickly. After a quick inventory, I decided on curried scallops. (this gives you an idea of my pantry staples) The result was delicious! I gave the recipe to Yvonne. She tried it with less successful results. Looking at it later, I realized I barely followed the recipe. So here is the altered Cooking Mama approved version.

1 pound frozen sea scallops (I also used some frozen shrimp)
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup salt
3 tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon curry powder (use your favorite, I LOVE Penzy's Hot Curry Powder)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup coconut milk

Put some warm water in a bowl. Add sugar and salt. Dissolve. Add cold water to the bowl. Add scallops. Let scallops defrost in bowl. Drain.

Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until melted.
Throw in the scallops and saute 4 to 5 minutes [until white]. Remove scallops.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the same pan. Cook garlic, flour, curry powder and salt over medium-high [medium] heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly.

Remove from heat. Stir in chicken broth and coconut milk. Put back on the medium-high setting. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute.

Stir in scallops. Heat about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice. I served with risotto rice that I had cooked in the microwave with some chicken broth.

No comments: