Thursday, November 18, 2010

Squirrels vs. Squirrels


For as long as I have known Jamey, he has left me notes with cartoon pictures of squirrels on them. The above is a good example although they are not usually in color. Recently, I was sitting with Jamey's mom on the porch when she noticed a squirrel carrying something. I looked and informed her it was another squirrel. Before you say, aww how cute, I feel obliged to point out that the other squirrel was the same size as the carrying squirrel and was in the mouth of the squirrel. There was nothing cute about it.

A quick search online revealed that I have not been the only one to witness this and that squirrels are in fact, cannibalistic at times and will eat other dead squirrels (sometimes that they killed in a fight). This certainly has changed my perception of squirrels a bit and added a hint of ominous to our fuzzy tailed friend in the backyard. Jamey commiserated the occasion by leaving me the following note yesterday morning.

Since this happened several weeks ago, it took me awhile to figure out the significance of the picture. I actually had decided that it represented the fact that a zombie could not have awakened me that morning because I was dead tired. Regardless, I might have nightmares.

No comments: